Re: [squid-users] Securing Squid with Cell Phone Proxying?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 14:29:48 +0200

ons 2006-03-29 klockan 07:23 -0500 skrev Scott Ehrlich:

> Let's say my phone number was the username (would kind of make sense),
> then what authentication mechanism for squid would be recommended - NCSA,
> LDAP, something else? Granted, I could try all, but I thought I'd ask
> first.

They only differ in how/where you store the account details. To Squid
they are all the same thing: a method to verify if the user supplied
login+password is valid.

NCSA uses a local text file with crypt hashed passwords, same the good
old NCSA web server (and its more well known successor Apache).

LDAP uses a LDAP directory server, which is very useful is you use a
LDAP directory server for your user accounts..

and each other basic auth helper connects to some other password
source..