Re: [squid-users] Disk performance basics

From: Shawn Wright <swright@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 10:50:20 -0800

On 30 Mar 2006 at 18:42, John Horne wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-03-29 at 20:34 -0300, Rodrigo A B Freire wrote:
> > Shawn,
> >
> > Undo the RAID5 and leave them as single disks. Format the disks with
> > XFS.
> >
> So you would use XFS rather than reiserfs?
>
> When you create the XFS disk partitions do you use any special options
> or any special options when you mount the partition? (For reiserfs it
> was recommended to use the notail,noatime mount options.)

Just 'noatime' for us; notail is specific to reiser.
I don't recall using any special options when creating them.

We did extensive performance tests when moving to samba (from NT4) several
years ago, and compared ext2, ext3, reiser and xfs. XFS was the clear winner,
and the fact that xfs also had the best support for quotas, ACLs, and EAs at the
time was also a factor. Granted, samba is lot different from squid, but xfs seems
to work pretty well all around.

Shawn Wright, I.T. Manager
Shawnigan Lake School
http://www.sls.bc.ca