[squid-users] Howto to compile squid with epoll on debian sarge 3.1.

From: Michal Mihalik <michal.mihalik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 10:39:38 +0200

A bad howto to squid and epoll (but some peaople asked.)

Dont do this on a nice debian. Do this on some temporary install as the
autoconf and automake are ugly installs.

Not all needed debian packages are here included.

must install this (configure; make; make install

cd /usr/src
wget http://mirrors.kernel.org/gnu/autoconf/autoconf-2.13.tar.gz
tar -xzf autoconf-2.13.tar.gz
cd /usr/src/autoconf-2.13
./configure
./make
./make install

cd /usr/src
wget http://mirrors.kernel.org/gnu/automake/automake-1.5.tar.gz
tar -xzf automake-1.5.tar.gz
cd /usr/src/automake-1.5
./configure
./make
./make install

# instal pmake apt-build (you can use aptitude if you like)
dpkg -i pmake
dpkg -i apt-build

# add this to sources
joe /etc/apt/sources.list

#the SK is not needed. (it's just a copy of the stable lines)
deb http://ftp.sk.debian.org/debian/ testing main
deb-src http://ftp.sk.debian.org/debian/ testing main

# some cleanup (ignore errors)
cd /var/cache/apt-build
apt-build clean-sources
apt-build clean-build
apt-build clean-repository
dpkg -r squid

#download sources of squid
apt-build source squid

#Edit rules and disable poll select and enable epoll
joe /var/cache/apt-build/build/squid-2.5.12/debian/rules

--disable-poll \
--disable-select \
--enable-epoll \

#patch squid
cd /usr/src
wget http://devel.squid-cache.org/cgi-bin/diff2/epoll-2_5.patch?s2_5?
cd /var/cache/apt-build/build/squid-2.5.12/
patch -p1 < ~/epoll-2_5.patch
# applies cleanly

#run this ignore warnings (1 minor error)
sh ./scripts/get_epoll-lib.sh
#run this ignore warnings (no errors)
./boostrap.sh

#apt-build install squid >& build.log