Re: [squid-users] Squid crash root cause

From: Neil A. Hillard <hillardn@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 13:30:50 +0100

Hi,

Dwayne Hottinger wrote:
> Quoting Mitesh P Choksi <mitesh@icafe.co.tz>:
>
>> Dear All,
>>
>>> I have had a very unusual situation when my Squid crashes almost every
>>> 7 days. However, it is not depending on day of the week, time of the
>>> day, etc. I have changed hardware, moved from RH7.3 to WBEL, but
>>> nothing works.
>>>
>>> I have not manage to pinpoint the problem. I need assistance to
>>> identify the root cause of this situation.
>>>
>>> I have 5 disk system at edge of the network doing NAT + Squid on WBEL.
>>> I have a satellite delay to the Internet fibre backbone.
>>>
>>> I tried vmstat output to be appended to identify the cpu/io
>>> utilization also SysRq but nothing helps. The console goes blank and
>>> does not allow anymore activity. I use ping timeouts to alert and
>>> hardboot the system.
>>>
>>> I need guidance in order to find out why does squid crashes so
>>> regularly as I can almost identify what next couple of days it is
>>> about to crash.
>>>
>>> Any pointers will be appreciated.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Mitesh
>>>

>>> Dear All,
>>>
>>> I have had a very unusual situation when my Squid crashes almost every
>>> 7 days. However, it is not depending on day of the week, time of the
>>> day, etc. I have changed hardware, moved from RH7.3 to WBEL, but
>>> nothing works.
>>>
>>> I have not manage to pinpoint the problem. I need assistance to
>>> identify the root cause of this situation.
>>>
>>> I have 5 disk system at edge of the network doing NAT + Squid on WBEL.
>>> I have a satellite delay to the Internet fibre backbone.
>>>
>>> I tried vmstat output to be appended to identify the cpu/io
>>> utilization also SysRq but nothing helps. The console goes blank and
>>> does not allow anymore activity. I use ping timeouts to alert and
>>> hardboot the system.
>>>
>>> I need guidance in order to find out why does squid crashes so
>>> regularly as I can almost identify what next couple of days it is
>>> about to crash.
>>>
>>> Any pointers will be appreciated.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Mitesh
>>>

> How big is your access.log file? There is a limit on squid and if it reaches
> that limit it crashes. You should probably rotate the squid log files.

This doesn't sound like a Squid problem. If your console is
unresponsive then it must be an OS / hardware issue. Squid shouldn't be
able to make you server lock up. You may be better off asking on the
mailing list for your OS.

An oversize log file would cause Squid to terminate but wouldn't 'kill'
the server.

Try taking a look at disabling power management if you haven't already
(if your server even has it).

HTH,

                                Neil.

--