Re: [squid-users] Squid crash root cause

From: Mitesh P Choksi <mitesh@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 17:16:54 +0300

Dear Tim/Neil,

I will look up the details and send it over to the group. The messages
and the cache.log looks normal. The access.log is not set, i.e.
/dev/null. I also realised that as soon as number of users are high,
i.e. when I start redirecting (-j REDIRECT) more users to Squid, it
starts crashing, but if I keep 2-3 IPs then it's not a problem.

It does look like an OS related issue from the details from Neil,
however, if I don't use squid i.e. no -J REDIRECT then the server keeps
running for months, but as soon as I turn on the REDIRECT, it starts
crashing almost every week.

Maybe I keep a strace on squid and dump the data and also keep the
vmstat 5 dumping data so that I can co-relate and come up to some
conclusion.

I wanted ideas on what to trace so that the root cause is identifieid.
Maybe it's a hardware problem but due to the fact that it only shows up
after I turn on squid, its is difficult to justify the need for
different hardware.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Mitesh