Re: [squid-users] web accelerator & caching issues

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 20:59:04 +0200

ons 2006-05-03 klockan 14:13 -0300 skrev Domingos Parra Novo:

> It seems that "refresh_pattern" does not enforce the rules on all
> objects, applying the policies only to "cacheable" ones.

It can make most things cached if you insist on it, and if the web
server is not showing a very strong opinion that the content should not
be cached..

> Heh, those URLs solved my problem.

Excellent!

As I said you should only look into solving the problem with
refresh_pattern if the web server can not be fixed. Fixing the web
server is when possible strongly preferred.

> Simply using the mod_expires module on my Apache+vignette backend
> solved the issue. Also, I'm trying to disable SSI on all virtualdomains
> with "static" pages (pages without any "include" section).

Many set up different file extensions for SSI vs plain HTML.

SSI: .shtml (and a three letter variant I don't remember)
Plain: .html .htm

This makes the server configuration easier..

and if you enable server-side content negotiation linking can be done
without including the extension making it easy to switch from one to
another on a page by page basis without having to redo all internal
links.