Re: [squid-users] querystrings

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 00:08:11 +0200

ons 2006-05-03 klockan 12:04 -0700 skrev Gregori Parker:
> I am using squid in http-acceleration mode, and it appears that squid
> considers /whatever.swf?query1 and /whatever.swf?query2 two separate
> items in terms of caching.

Yes, and it must according to the RFC.

So far I have not been given any good explanation why shockwave files
should have this random garbage at the end of the URL. It serves no
meaningful purpose in therms of HTTP except to confuse caches.

> Is there any way to get squid to understand that these are the same
> static file and don't need to be cached over and over?

You can use a redirector to strip out the garbage from the shockwave
links, provided you know they link to static content..

> One major caveat, I need currently have the query strings logged and I
> need them to remain as such....I just want squid to ignore the query
> string when caching items.

Then the redirector is what you are looking for. Squid caches on the URL
after the redirector, but logs the URL as it was sent to Squid.

As you say you need this garbage data, could you please elaborate a bit
on why this data is needed in the links in the first place? I suppose
it's some kind of hit metering?