Re: [squid-users] are there large customers that run Squid on solaris/sparc platform?

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 07:25:47 +0800

On Mon, May 08, 2006, Michael Pye wrote:

> The linux epoll is much more efficient and doesn't use anything like the
> large amounts of cpu that poll does when hundreds of file descriptors
> are in use. This is the reason I would guess Linux would be better
> peformer; this is pure conjecture however, I don't have anything to back
> this up.
>
> Linux has epoll and freebsd has kqueue. The solution for solaris is to
> move to /dev/poll or event ports. Some work on /dev/poll has been done
> in the past by Adrian Chadd and I'm hoping this will be a future feature
> of squid.

I have plans to bring in /dev/poll support back into my local version of
squid; I have access to a Solaris 10 server and it shouldn't be that
much work. Event completion would be nice but would involve a little more
work which I just don't have the time for at the moment.

Please let me know if you're interested in a Squid-2.5 with /dev/poll
support.

Adrian