Re: [squid-users] Server platform

From: Neil A. Hillard <hillardn@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 16:03:29 +0100

Hi,

Christoph Haas wrote:
> On Wed, May 10, 2006 at 03:49:04PM +0200, Paolo Biancolli wrote:
>> We currently run squid 2.5 stable 13 on redhat 9 (2.4.20-8smp) in our
>> production environment.
>>
>> We are getting new servers soon. Will FC4 suffice or should we rather
>> look at Red Hat enterprise?
>
> What's the difference between those distributions? Squid surely doesn't
> care whether you pay money for a support contract that your boss needs to
> sleep better. ;)

Use whatever you're happiest with. If you want commercial support then
go with RHEL, if you have the skills and are happy to debug / fix it
yourself then use FC4 (or FC5, now that it's been out for a while).

Keep them up to date with yum and you can't go that far wrong.

If you don't want the commercial support then you might want to look at
CentOS (essentially RHEL without support).

RHEL / CentOS tend to move a little bit slower and Fedora is the testing
ground for stuff that goes into them. The release schedule is roughly
every 6 months so you can find that you should upgrade your OS more
frequently than with RHEL / CentOS.

HTH,

                                Neil.

--