[squid-users] external proxy and problems with internal networks

From: David Neudorfer <davidneudorfer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 10:17:19 -0700

I am looking to uniquely identify each packet as it passes through
the squid proxy. This is easy to do by the external IP address as
long as there is only one computer on the internal network. As soon
as you add a second computer the data begins to become confusing and
can't be identified as coming from different computers. To solve this
problem we came up with two possible solutions, each of which I'm
unsure of their feasibility. The first idea was use a proxy that
supports socks5 and inject the username where the packet came from
into the packet data. Squid by default injects data into the packet.
Example:

> Via: 1.1 sparta.coustik.com:1081 (squid/2.5.STABLE11)
> Cache-Control: max-age=259200
> Connection: keep-alive

As authenticated user with client id "123456" uses the internet any
data that is sent through our proxy is tagged with that client id.

> CliendID: 123456

Our second Idea was to set up a sub domain for each user. Where a
user with client id "123456" connected to 123456.mydomain.com. And
like apache squid picks up on url and injects that data into the
packet to be used for identification.

> Subdomain: 123456.mydomain.com

Are either of these ideas feasible? Any suggestions on implementation
would be gladly accepted.

David Neudorfer
1745 East Orange Grove Blvd
Pasadena, CA 91104