Re: [squid-users] memory leaks

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 11:58:33 +0200

tis 2006-05-16 klockan 12:14 +0300 skrev Edvard Chitro:

> When I start the sistem (without starting squid) only 37 MB of ram gets
> used. And usage is constant, no matter how long box is up. After a week it
> still has 37 Mb used and ~400 MB free.

What a waste!

> But if I start squid and let it run, then after ~36 hours I have only 92
> Mb free ... and after 7-30 days I get ether box lockup because out of
> memory or squid becomes zombie and locks up. The most interesting thing
> that swap usage is always remains zero or 132 Kb. Ihave no bad sector on
> hard drives. I have checked everything. That irritates me ...

This is just the way it should be.

> After 40 hours of uptime I get:
>
> edska@gw:~$ free
> total used free shared buffers cached
> Mem: 516312 510772 5540 0 51976 48876
> -/+ buffers/cache: 409920 106392
> Swap: 248968 0 248968

Which isn't bad. Plenty of free memory. Ca 100MB free, of which 5.5 is
available for immediate use by the kernel in interrupt context. No swap
used so the demand for memory is not high.

But still there is a bit of mystery. You said the system was only using
60 MB of RAM before you started Squid. Your Squid is using another 70MB.
But there is now 410MB in use..

> Last time squid died with something like this in the logs:
> May 14 23:41:09 gw kernel: Unable to handle kernel paging request at
> virtual address 30303098

This is a kernel bug. From the trace it looks like a reiserfs bug..