Re: [squid-users] memory leaks

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 22:39:49 +0200

tis 2006-05-16 klockan 13:06 +0300 skrev Edvard Chitro:

> Top shows squid is only using 50-60 Mb ...
>
> And if I shut down squid only 60 Mb gets freed ...

What I have been saying all the time. The problem is not Squid, the
problem is elsewhere.

Your Squid is using 60-70 MB.

This server should run fine with as little as 256 MB, possibly even 128
if you slim down the OS..

But you can not look at the raw free value. It doesn't make sense. What
you need to keep track of is the adjusted free value (second line of
numbers) where the the value has been adjusted with buffer & cache.

Linux memory is in one of four different states

a) Completely free (raw free value). Available for immediate use by the
kernel with no questions asked. This should be quite stable around 5MB
when the system is working.

b) Buffer / Cache. Used by the kernel to speed things up. Released on
demand if there is need for more memory.

c) Application memory. Used by running processes. top & ps gives some
info on how much memory different applications are using, but not always
correct (the reported number can be much higher for some applications
than the actual usage due to shared memory and a few other things
complicating matters.. but for Squid it's quite accurate)

d) Kernel memory. Used by different components in the
kernel. /proc/slabinfo gives some info on this usage.