Re: [squid-users] differentiating squid traffic

From: Christoph Haas <email@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 20:16:34 +0200

On Thu, May 18, 2006 at 07:49:18PM +0300, pwasenda@ura.go.ug wrote:
> how do i tell whether squid traffic came from a browser of from some other
> application.

"useragent_log" in your squid.conf logs it. Other than that there is no
need really to tell Squid anything. Squid is a HTTP proxy. Any
application (client) that speaks HTTP can use it.

> I have different applications for example outlook, windows media
> player that somehow connect through the proxy and squid doesn't seem to
> understand there authentication details. any recommendations for such programs?

What is there to understand? If Squid expect authentication it will send
a 407 return code to the HTTP client and expects proper credentials with
the next request.

Besides many Microsoft (R) Windows (R) programs will identify themselves
as MSIE anyway.

Kindly
 Christoph

--
Please reply to the list - not to me personally. Personal replies are ignored.