[squid-users] Questions about Squid read_timeout and retry behavior

From: Katie Wang <xwang@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 17:32:58 -0400

Hi,

I am using Squid of Version 2.5.STABLE5, and I have a few questions
regarding the squid read_timeout behavior. I did some tests and I would
first summarize my observation as following:

----  Summary Start -----

When squid conf is "read_timeout 1 minutes", if nothing at all has been
received yet in 1 minutes, the request will be automatically retried. The
number of times of re-try is 3. So the squid returns timeout error (504) in
3 minutes.

When squid conf is "read_timeout N minutes", where N=2 or 3, if nothing at
all has been received yet in N minutes, the request will be automatically
retried. The number of times of re-try is 2. So the squid returns timeout
error (504) in 2*N minutes.

When squid conf is "read_timeout M minutes", where M>=4, if nothing at all
has been received in M minutes, the request will NOT be retried, and the
squid returns timeout error (504).

My questions are:

1, Are the about behavior expected?  If it is expected, can you provide more
detailed explanation about the rule of re-trying.
2, Is there a way to configure the re-try behavior? e.g. the number of times
to retry, or to disable retry.

Thanks a lot,

Katie Wang
Software Development