Re: [squid-users] squid performance epoll. 350req/sec 100% cpu

From: John Horne <john.horne@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 14:45:21 +0100

On Mon, 2006-05-22 at 11:50 -0800, Chris Robertson wrote:

> >autoconf failed
> >Autotool bootstrapping failed. You will need to investigate and correct
> >before you can develop on this source tree
> >

> See http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-users/200602/0609.html
> and http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-users/200602/0611.html.

Hello,

Can I jump in and ask if the bootstrap script needs to be run when
installing on a Fedora Core 4 linux system using the squid SRPM? The
bootstrap script says:

  ...This script is only needed for developers when configure has
  not been run,...

I tend to install the SRPM and then modify it to change configure as we
want, and apply any other patches we want. Then I run 'rpmbuild -ba ...'
to rebuild a squid RPM which we then install. As such configure is run
as part of the automatic build process, and as the script comment says
it (the script) doesn't need to be run if configure is used.

I should add that I have installed epoll without running the bootstrap
script, as mentioned above, but squid seems to be taking a lot of CPU
time. Trying to strace squid seems to show that it is calling select
rather than epoll, BUT our log file is getting the 'clearing
ENTRY_DEFER_READ' messages which seems to indicate that epoll is being
used. Very confusing!

Thanks,

John.

John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK  Tel: +44 (0)1752 233914
E-mail: John.Horne@plymouth.ac.uk       Fax: +44 (0)1752 233839