Re: [squid-users] single host off/ host_header on question

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 23:25:00 +0200

ons 2006-05-24 klockan 17:09 -0400 skrev Nick Baronian:
> Hello, I am having some issues with my reverse proxy. I have some
> sites that are load balanced between 4 Apache servers. I am testing
> using Squid on 2 of the servers to help alleviate the load on calls
> back to web-server's app server. Squid is running on port 80 and
> Apache on 81 on the same box.

Note: For a better experience I would recomment you to have Apache
listen on port 80 as well. Just bind them to different IPs. This way you
do not risk that port 81 to leak out to the end-user... (which it often
does otherwise).

> My issue is I get TCP_DENIED on calls to domains that are load
> balanced between the 4 servers.

Anything in cache.log?

> Squid works for domains that are in
> DNS and pointed directly to that server.

Squid doesn't really care where the DNS is pointing.. unless you have
something relying on it such as the dst acl...

the dst acl looks at the URL, not where the request is forwarded..

> since we have hundreds of domains. With host_headers on and single
> host off does Squid do a lookup on each request and try and grab the
> page from whatever IP it gets from DNS, even though it is suppose to
> pass it to the web server?

Only if you set "httpd_accel_single_host on". With this off all the
httpd_accel_* directives does is to reconstruct the hostname and port
part of the URL from the request..