[squid-users] Squid acl containing hostnames issue

From: Jason Bassett <jason_bassett@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 11:30:35 +0100

Hello

I work in a secondary school with 5 IT suites each with 20-30 computers. I
have created an acl for each room containing the hostnames of the machines
for examle, an acl called R32 for room 32 contains:

R32001
R32002
R32030

If I set this acl to deny, not all machines are denied access only a random
group within the room.

I originally run a GNU/Linux dhcp server to allocate static IPs to all
network machines and then created acl's based on the IP ranges of machines
in each room. This worked perfectly but now Research Machines who "support"
us have demanded I remove the GNU/Linux dhcp server otherwise they will not
"support" our installation.

I am therefore looking for the easiest and most time effective method of
blocking rooms when required. Hostnames seemed to be the best way.

Any ideas on this issue?

Thanks

Jason