[squid-users] Squid S10 appears IO bound when cache is full

From: Frank Hamersley <terabite@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 15:15:21 +1000

I am running STABLE10 on an old Firewall/Gateway system (Compaq P3 550Mhz)
and just recently have noticed some poor performance now that the cache has
reached its allowable limits.

When bring new files into cache, the system struggles and becomes seriously
IO bound before returning the objects to the browser.

I suspect that squid is trying to find the oldest files in the cache to drop
before bringing in the new data. The outcome is that the surfer sees
abysmal performance as this process appears to proceed serially. I also
expect the cache is designed to facilitate lookup and less so to trash out
of date files.

Is this expected behaviour or are there param tweaks I could use to get the
jump on this by clearing cache ahead of time when the system is "idle"?

Cheers, Frank.