RE: [squid-users] RE: current concurrent connections

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 00:39:01 +0200

tis 2006-05-30 klockan 15:34 +0100 skrev
lokesh.khanna@accelonafrica.com:
> Thanks John
>
> So can we say, (number of File descriptor in use - number of reserved
> FD) = Total number of concurrent sessions in system?

Sorry if this complicates your life but:

Total number of filedescriptors - number of free filedescriptors =
number of open filedescriptors (I don't know why there is no OID for
this.. should be, but there is not..).

Each client TCP connection uses anywhere from 1 to 3 filedescriptors. 1
for the client connection. 1 for cache, and 1 for upstream server
connection.

Idle server-side persistent connections use 1 filedescriptor each.

Idle client-side persistent connections use 1 filedescriptor each.

Each browser session uses anywhere from 0 to 4 client TCP connections.

Then do the math to approximate the number you are looking for..

The reserved filedescriptors can be ignored in this math. If number of
free filedescriptors goes below the reserved filedescriptors then Squid
stops accepting new requests to guarantee it can finish the requests it
has already accepted without running out of filedescriptors.