Re: [squid-users] Random authentication popups

From: Visolve squid <squid@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 15:51:27 +0530

On Thu, 2006-06-01 at 13:37 +0900, Scott Jarkoff wrote:
> I have setup Squid to perform authentication via NTLM and everything
> is working fine with the exception of 1 odd error. At random times
> throughout the day, and for no apparent reason, an authentication
> popup will be presented to the user. Merely clicking "cancel" will
> allow the user to view the site.
>
> The proxy server has not yet been deployed throughout the organization
> and therefore only has a very minimal load on it at the moment, yet it
> does this random authentication thing.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing this to happen?

Hello Scott,

You can use this directive of squid.conf file to prevent the problem.

"auth_param ntlm use_ntlm_negotiate off"

You may also need to increase children based on your number of users.

You can visit for more
details:http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-23.html#ss23.5

Thanks,
Visolve Squid Team,