Re: [squid-users] ETag support for html files

From: <sknipe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 13:10:37 -0400

Henrik,

Thanks for your prompt response.

My comments/additional questions are embedded with >>SK.

Thanks,

Steve.

On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 11:10:41 +0200
  Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@henriknordstrom.net> wrote:
> tor 2006-06-01 klockan 13:43 -0400 skrev
>sknipe@tucows.com:
>
>> However, our html pages may change in the expires time
>> frame.
>
> Then you need to advertise a smaller expires interval or
>use
> "Cache-Control: max-age=XXX" to tell caches they must
>validate the
> page..
>
>> Perhaps a better model for us is more of an update based
>> model using ETag. The down side of this is that our
>> infrastructure is hit for each request. However, the hit
>> is minimal if the html page has not changed.
>
> In this scenario ETag just allows for a stronger
>"If-Modified-Since". In
> terms of caching of simple responses (no Vary) there is
>not much
> difference if you use the ETag or Last-Modified. And
>with both you need
> to set freshness appropriately to have the page
>revalidated with the
> frequency you need.
>

>> Also, I noticed that Squid forces http communication
>>into
>> http 1.0 mode. This has a negative effect when working
>> with IE and the ETag model. Can we have Squid interact
>>in
>> http 1.1?

>>SK The following HTTP response is generated by squid for IE.

Response Header IE:

(Status-Line) HTTP/1.0 200 OK (Please note the HTTP/1.0)

Response Header FireFox:

(Status Line) HTTP/1.x 200 OK (The 1.x works fine.)

In this case, IE will not send back the if-none-match with
the appropriate ETag.

Could you please verify the following. When ETag is used
for .html pages, the caching seems to be at the Browser
level. Does Squid play a role in the if-none-match with
ETags?

Is there a way to have an HTTP/1.1 or HTTP/1.x response
generated for IE?

Thanks very much,

Steve.