Re: [squid-users] Squid in gigabit speed?

From: Steve Snyder <swsnyder@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 07:17:36 -0400

On Thursday 08 June 2006 6:30 pm, Chris Robertson wrote:
[snip]
> >hardware raid with sata good enough? Dual core any good? Does the
> >menory system benefit on dual chanel?
>
> Get the fastest disks you can afford. The more spindles the better
> (within reason). Don't RAID the cache_dir drives. With either the
> epoll patch or Squid 2.6, CPU power is far less important than IO
> speed.

While it's true that Squid itself is generally not CPU-bottlenecked the
overall throughput can be hampered if you're running redirectors on a
machine with insufficient CPU horsepower.

I use the Adzapper redirector and the cumulative CPU time used by the
redirector is 3 - 4 times that used by the Squid binary. (2.5S14, on a
Linux system.) If you're going to be running porn filters or virus
checkers you can expect that the CPU will play a role in overall Squid
responsiveness.