[squid-users] Slow HTTP Downloads

From: Wayne Kimball <wakimball@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 16:16:23 -0700

Please forgive me, as I am new to Squid and Linux in general.

I did search the Mail Archives, and see that others have had the same
type of issue, but did not find any resolutions posted.

On with my problem….

I just installed Squid on RedHat 9
Also using Samba 3.x

Squid was set up with the following config …

===================================
|http_port 9172
|cache_dir ufs /usr/local/squid/var/cache 100 16 256 cache_log
|/usr/local/squid/var/logs/cache.log
|mime_table /usr/local/squid/etc/mime.conf maximum_object_size 32 KB
|auth_param ntlm program /usr/local/samba/bin/ntlm_auth
--helper-protocol=squid-2.5-ntlmssp
|auth_param ntlm children 30
|auth_param ntlm max_challenge_reuses 0
|auth_param ntlm max_challenge_lifetime 2 minutes auth_param ntlm
|use_ntlm_negotiate on auth_param basic program
/usr/local/samba/bin/ntlm_auth --helper-protocol=squid-2.5-basic
|auth_param basic children 5 auth_param basic realm Squid proxy-caching
|web server auth_param basic credentialsttl 2 hours auth_param basic
casesensitive off
|refresh_pattern ^ftp: 1440 20% 10080
|refresh_pattern ^gopher: 1440 0% 1440
|refresh_pattern . 0 20% 4320
|acl all src 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0
|acl AuthorizedUsers proxy_auth REQUIRED acl manager proto cache_object
|acl localhost src 127.0.0.1/255.255.255.255 acl to_localhost dst
|127.0.0.0/8 acl SSL_ports port 443 563
|acl Safe_ports port 80 # http
|acl Safe_ports port 21 # ftp
|acl Safe_ports port 443 563 # https, snews
|acl Safe_ports port 70 # gopher
|acl Safe_ports port 210 # wais
|acl Safe_ports port 1025-65535 # unregistered ports
|acl Safe_ports port 280 # http-mgmt
|acl Safe_ports port 488 # gss-http
|acl Safe_ports port 591 # filemaker
|acl Safe_ports port 777 # multiling http
|acl CONNECT method CONNECT
|acl our_networks src x.x.0.0/16
|no_cache deny all
|http_access allow manager localhost
|http_access deny manager
|http_access deny !Safe_ports
|http_access deny CONNECT !SSL_ports
|http_access allow all AuthorizedUsers
|http_access deny all
|http_reply_access allow all
|icp_access allow all
|
|cache_effective_user squid
|cache_effective_group squid
|visible_hostname svpxyprd01.local.domain
|

|redirect_children 30
|
|redirector_bypass off
|
|redirect_program /usr/local/websense/bin/WsRedtor

This was setup specifically to do authentication of users on our
terminal server clusters, for use by WebSense.

The issue that we are having is that any user of the Terminal Server
cluster (using IE 6) to do an http download, the download speed
degrades to around 1Kb / sec.
If we take the proxy server out of the loop, then download speeds
return to normal (40-60Kb).
If I point a desktop/workstation at the proxy server, all seems to
work as expected.

I am not sure if the issue is with Squid, or IE, or possibly even
Websense. Any pointers or directions would be extemely appreciated.

P.S. As I stated at the beginning, I am new to all of this, so please
spell out any directions that I may need.

Thanks,
WKimball