[squid-users] Authentication on loading an Internet Shortcut

From: Philip Hachey <PHachey@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 10:26:56 -0400

Since switching to Squid for our proxy, some of our users are experiencing
the following problem:

When Internet Explorer is not yet loaded and authentication with Squid
(using basic authentication) has therefore not yet been performed by the
client, opening an Internet Shortcut from their Windows desktop pops up an
authentication dialogue. Immediately after authenticating, an error is
displayed as attached below.

This error only occurs for shortcuts to certain sites (ASP related
perhaps?) and not all client workstations experience the problem even
though the shortcuts are the same. It's been witnessed on Windows 98 and
Windows XP workstations, but not all XP workstations encounter the
problem.

After getting this error, refreshing Internet Explorer loads the page with
no errors. Also, if the user's Internet Explorer is already loaded and
authenticated with Squid, then opening the desktop shortcut does not
produce an error.

Has anyone else experienced a problem similar to this? Is it a known
problem? Is there a resolution?

Many thanks,
Philip Hachey