Re: [squid-users] Squid logs to named pipe?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 00:40:03 +0200

tis 2006-06-13 klockan 13:08 -0700 skrev John Oliver:
> Googling turned up a three-year-old post indicating that there would be
> problems with sending logs to a named pipe under load. Well, I'm hoping
> that's been resolved... we expect to have to hundle dozens or hundreds
> of hits per second :-) And accurate log handling is critical for
> billing. What are my best options?

Sending logs to a pipe (named, or explicit opened by Squid if one is to
add such patch) always has issues under load as the performance gets
limited to the performance of your log processor. If the log processor
can't keep up Squid will soon stop all activities until it catches up.
The same also happens if the log processor should exit for some reason..

My recommendation is therefore to use the perl module File::Tail to
monitor the on-disk file. File::Tail is quite similar to "tail -f" but
automatically detects when the logfile has been rotated so it can be
kept running completely independent of Squid, and will process log
records as fast as it can without delaying Squid under peak load.