RE: [squid-users] Strange problem with multiple DNS A Records

From: Koopmann, Jan-Peter <Jan-Peter.Koopmann@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 14:06:23 +0200

On Friday, June 16, 2006 1:46 PM Leonardo Rodrigues Magalhães wrote:

> Definitely not !!! DNS shows that we have more than 1 address for
> that host, so applications can (and generally will) use a round-robin
> kind load-balancing and access all available addresses for that
> particular host.

> I really dont think squid should 'blacklist' that, because it's
> not squid fault things arent working as they suppose to be.

Nobody said it is squids fault. :-) But a user expects "things to work" and if one of the servers answers correctly it would be nice of squid to handle this accordingly. I fail to see why this would be a bad idea.

And it would be a consistent suer experience since most browsers do the same. I have read about a patch for squid 1.x years ago and assumed it would be in 2.X as well. I take it that the current implementation is not able to handle this scenario?

Kind regards,
 JP