Re: [squid-users] Multiple domains and multiple backend servers : use of httpd_accel ?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 23:38:16 +0200

lör 2006-06-17 klockan 17:54 +0530 skrev Visolve Squid:

> If you are using the reverse proxy for more than one web server, then we
> must use the word virtual as the httpd_accel_host.

Not at all. Please read the squid.conf comments about what this does, do
not blindly assume anything from it's name.

"httpd_accel_host virtual" is only meaningful in very specific
conditions, and frankly I doubt many reverse proxy setups have those
conditions or are willing to submit to the restrictions involved in
using this... The main setup where using this is meaningful is
transparently intercepting proxies where you have may have old clients
NOT sending Host headers.

Normally a reverse proxy should use "httpd_accel_host your.main.site".
Or if there is a single server "httpd_accel_host backend.web.server" may
be used to avoid having to teach Squid the real IP mapping of the site
but I recommend the first even when there is a single server.. (makes
the Host header sent to the backend match what is published on the
Internet).