Re: [squid-users] Random authentication popups

From: Guido Serassio <guido.serassio@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2006 15:58:31 +0200

Hi Scott,

At 14.17 18/06/2006, Scott Jarkoff wrote:

>I would truly love to say otherwise, however I have been unable to
>reconcile this problem once and for all. While the popups do not
>appear to be as frequent as they used to be, after a minor
>modification to my smb.conf file, they are still present. Because of
>this I am unable to get Squid deployed throughout our enterprise.

The random authentication popups is a problem that repeats
itself randomly since a long time without any simple resolution and
not in all Squid+Samba installations.

I'm suspecting that it could be related to some strange Samba's
internal problem because NTLM runs on the Windows port of Squid
without any problem: the Squid code is the same, what is different is
the authentication back-end.

Yust for your info, in can read in the release notes of Samba
3.0.23RC2 a lot of problem fixes regarding winbind.

What do you could try:

1) check what happens using ADS or DOMAIN security mode in smb.conf
2) check the load and response time of your AD Domain Controllers
3) check what happens changing the following policies of your Windows domain:
   - Lan Manager Authentication level
   - Digital sign communication
(In theory latest Samba 3 should work with any combination of all the
previous settings ....)
4) Ask the Samba team ... :-(

Regards

Guido

-
Guido Serassio
Acme Consulting S.r.l. - Microsoft Certified Partner
Via Lucia Savarino, 1 10098 - Rivoli (TO) - ITALY
Tel. : +39.011.9530135 Fax. : +39.011.9781115
Email: guido.serassio@acmeconsulting.it
WWW: http://www.acmeconsulting.it/