Re: [squid-users] Strange problem with multiple DNS A Records

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 12:00:44 +0200

On 17.06.06 00:40, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> fre 2006-06-16 klockan 13:15 +0200 skrev Koopmann, Jan-Peter:
>
> > Obviously connections to .25 fail (which sometimes results in the user
> > receiving an operation timed out). Sometimes part of the page load,
> > others don't. I would have expected squid to "blacklist" the not
> > working IP for some time and therefore speeding up the access.
>
> Indeed. It should. And from what I can tell it does.. at least as long
> as the site stays in the ipcache.. (depends on positive_dns_ttl, and
> ipcache_size in relation to your request load)

according to original poster, the DNS at his site resolves mail.hoegh.com to
2 addresses. In such case, this is not squid problem. The only problem with
his squid is that squid doesn't keep the track of (in)accessible addresses
and periodically tries inaccessible one.

Note that in case of resolving name to multiple IP addresses, conecting host
should try to connect to different hosts by different requests. If one is
unreachable, it's good to skip it for a while.

However the orioginal problem seems to be at Jan-Peter's site, with resolver
sending 2 addresses...

Chernobyl was an Windows 95 beta test site.