RE: [squid-users] Out of file descriptor

From: Narula, Vaibhav <vnarula@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 18:46:30 -0400

Hi
Run this command

cat /proc/sys/fs/file-max

check the value
For Linux Users

root# echo 1024 > /proc/sys/fs/file-maxFinally, before compiling or running Squid, execute this shell command to set the process limit equal to the kernel limit:

root# ulimit -Hn 1024 fter you have set the limit in this manner, you'll need to reconfigure, recompile, and reinstall Squid. Also note that these two commands do not permanently set the limit. They must be executed each time your system boots. You'll want to add them to your system startup scripts.

For NetBSD/OpenBSD/FreeBSD Users
On BSD-based systems, you'll need to compile a new kernel. The kernel configuration file lives in a directory such as /usr/src/sys/i386/conf or /usr/src/sys/arch/i386/conf. There you'll find a file, possibly named GENERIC, to which you should add a line like this:

options MAXFILES=8192For OpenBSD, use option instead of options. Reboot your system after you've finished configuring, compiling, and installing your new kernel. Then, reconfigure, recompile, and reinstall Squid.

For Solaris Users
Add this line to your /etc/system file:

set rlim_fd_max = 1024Then, reboot the system, reconfigure, recompile, and reinstall Squid.

With Regards

Vaibhav Narula