[squid-users] squid performance issues

From: E.S. Rosenberg <esr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 18:47:03 +0300

Hi,

We are having some performance issues with squid:

The setup is like this:

1. a bunch of short acls with special exceptions (hosts and stuff)

2. a 279 line whitelist, type: regex -i

3. a 5755 line blacklist, type: regex -i

4. various small acls (authentication is somewhere here).

I had 2 ideas for reducing load on the proxy:

1. The blacklists is mainly a long list of hosts/websites (and various
IPs), removing them from the DNS (or changing their address to an
internal redirect) would make them unreachable (effectivly blocked)
while also reducing the size of the blacklist by roughly 80%.

2. based on descriptions of how acls in squid worked (it goes through it
and first hit 'falls out') I thought that maybe adding high-traffic
sites to the top of the whitelist would reduce general load.

I hope these ideas make some (if limited amount of) sense, and would
like to hear what you think of them.

Thanks for your time.

Regards,

E.S. Rosenberg