[squid-users] Caching large amounts of images...

From: Forrest Aldrich <forrie@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 13:47:39 -0400

We are developing an infrastructure that will serve up images directly
from a database. The numbers will vary into the thousands and higher.

In front of this process, I would like to place a cache of the most
frequently accessed images, to reduce the load on the database server
itself.

The images are small (under 200k).

My question is what is the most effective way to accomplish this
(without a commercial cache solution like content distribution). Would
Squid be appropriate. There are other approaches such as Apache's
mod_cache_disk et al.

Looking through the Squid book, there are a lot of tunables... including
consideration of the underlying filesystem (the OS is open here, we can
use Linux or FreeBSD (preferred)).

COSS sounds interesting, but it appears to be dead - or, at least, not
ready for production. The web page I found hasn't been updated in a
long time and indicated development being on Windows.

Any pointers would be appreciated (I'm new to caching), thank you.