Re: [squid-users] peer weight is working (THANKS)

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 12:14:57 -0800

squid learner wrote:

>--- Chris Robertson <crobertson@gci.net> wrote:
>

>>squid learner wrote:
>>

>>>Sir Chris Robertson
>>>Thankyou very much
>>>It is working excellent
>>>For this i search nearly 50 forums and nearly 10
>>>months i was struggling
>>>Thanks
>>>Is it possible to cache (store) media songs and
>>>

>>movies
>>

>>Glad to hear it's working for you.
>>
>>That depends on how the songs and movies are
>>delivered. If they are
>>just web objects, and the cacheability engine
>>(http://www.ircache.net/cgi-bin/cacheability.py)
>>labels them as
>>cacheable, then yes. You might have to adjust your
>>maximum_object_size
>>(in squid.conf) as the default is somewhere around
>>4MB. If they are
>>streamed... I don't think such a thing is likely.
>>
>>Chris
>>

>Thanks again
>and a small informaition i need
>as you see i give weight=1
>to all peers
>So if i want to give pref to some did i change it
>to weight=3 for to be use more
>then weight=2 next
>and weight=1 for least
>some places i saw the weight=70 or like this (did this
>forward 70 req then go to weight=50

Weight doesn't do what you think it does. From the old docs:

If more than one cache server has an object (based on the result of an
ICP query), Squid decides which cache to get the data from the cache
that responded fastest. If you want to prefer one cache over another,
you can add a weight value to the preferred cache's config line. Larger
values are preferred. Squid times how long each ICP request takes (in
milliseconds), and divides the time by the weight value, using the cache
with the smallest result. Your weight value should thus not be an
unreasonable value.

If you want to favor one cache_peer parent over an other, I think you
have to utilize carp-load-factor instead of round-robin, which likely
will require recompiling Squid. Run "squid -v" and look for --enable-carp.

Chris