[squid-users] About 2.6 config options

From: Steve Snyder <swsnyder@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 10:36:35 -0400

Regarding configuration of Squid v2.6:

--enable-kqueue / --disable-kqueue

Given that this is an OS-specific option, shouldn't the name reflect that?
I'm thinking --enable-bsd-kqueue.

--enable-linux-tproxy

Why use this instead of --enable-linux-netfilter on Linux 2.6.x systems?
The documentation (configure comments or preliminary release notes)
doesn't make clear why I would/wouldn't want to use this in preference to
option --enable-linux-netfilter.

--enable-truncate

The configure scripts says: "This uses truncate() instead of unlink() when
removing cache files. Truncate gives a little performance improvement,
but may cause problems when used with async I/O."

Is that really universally true? I would have thought that relative
truncate/unlink performance would be on a filesystem-specific basis.

collapsed_forwarding

There seems to be a difference of opinion here.

The default v2.6 "squid.conf" says:

"Collapsed forwarding, which gives Squid the ability to intelligently
merge client requests for objects into one request to the server. Of
particular benefit in accelerator setups but also provides some benefits
to non- accelerator setups."

Yet http://devel.squid-cache.org/collapsed_forwarding/ says:

"This sacrifices general proxy latency in favor for accelerator
performance and thus should not be enabled unless you are running an
accelerator."

So... who is right? Is the enabling of collapsed forwarding suitable for
non-accelerator setups or not?

Thanks.