Re: [squid-users] Queing downloads

From: Peter Albrecht <peter.albrecht@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 14:02:52 +0200

Hi Janco,

On Wednesday 12 July 2006 13:37, Visolve Squid wrote:
> Janco van der Merwe wrote:
>
> >Hi guys,
> >
> >I have an interesting question which I hope somebody will be able= to help
me or give me a push in the right direction.

> >Firstly we are running Squid 2.5 Stable 10 on Fedora Core 4, behi= nd a
Shorewall firewall with squid_ldap_group authentication. Now= what I want to
know is, is it possible for Squid or any other Li= nux package to queue a
download job for after hours, lets say tha= t a user wants to download a file
@ 10:00 in the morning but I on= ly want to allow that download after 5 in
the afternoon. (I hope=20= that I'm making sense)

> >To get back to my question.....is it possible, can Squid or any o= ther
program do that??????? I tried searching on the net but wasn= 't very
successful.

> Hello Merwe,
>
> Yes. It is possible. You can try with the following ACL
>
> acl aclname time [day-abbrevs] [h1:m1-h2:m2]

Well, this allows only the access after hours. It does not schedule the
download for that time. When users try to download earlier, Squid will
prohibit that.

You can schedule downloading files using the at command. And then use wget for
downloading. You can also set the proxy parameters for wget (including
authentication). To set the proxy for wget, put the following in your
~/.bashrc or ~/.profile:

http_proxy=http://ip.of.proxy:port/
export http_proxy

(maybe you also need to define a variable called HTTP_PROXY). Please consult
the wget man page how to submit the proxy authentication credentials.

Regards,

Peter

--
Peter Albrecht, Novell Training Services, peter.albrecht@novell.com