Re: [squid-users] what is the fastest possible thru-speed conf?

From: H <h@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 03:52:38 -0300

On Monday 10 July 2006 21:50, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 10, 2006, Rick Brooks wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > My company has been building squid servers based on openbsd boxes for a
> > couple of years and have hit a "wall" for thru-speed.
> >
> > All of you are quite aware that Internet access speeds are higher and
> > higher (15Mb is not unusual in the USA) but our squid servers are not
> > exceeding 3.5Mb to the client desktop behind it.
> >
> > My question is this:
> >
> > "would the forum mind sharing their "top speed" specs and configurations
> > for their fastest machines?"
>
> Squid-2.6 with epoll will easily break 15mbit without a sweat on modern
> hardware. I've had my test caches pushing 30mbit without any problems and
> I'm sure others have beaten it.
>
> The biggest limitation at the moment is disk throughput. I'm able to hit
> 30mbit whilst testing out the experimental cyclic FS but its still buggy.
>
> There's kqueue() support in Squid-2.6 which is intended for FreeBSD -
> I'm not sure whether OpenBSD has snarfed the interface yet or not.
> If it has then you may want to give kqueue a go over poll/select.

Hi
I am not so sure if the particular data access method is what makes the
difference. Most real cases are bound to disk or other hardware limitations.
Even if often discussed IDE/ATA disks do not come close to SCSI disk
throughput in multi user environments. Standard PCs are having often exactly
this limit of 2-5MB/s Rick says and you can do what you want there is nothing
more. I believe that squid, when coming to the limit simple do not cache
anymore and goes directly, means the cache server certainly runs useless on
the edge and not caching.
With good hardware, not necessarily server MBs, you can get 30MB/s as you say
but I am not sure how much of this 30MB/s is cache data, do you get 5% or
less from disk?
We have some high bandwidth networks where we use squid on the main server as
non-caching server. And then several parents where the cache-to-disk process
is done. The main server seems to be bound only to the OS-pps limit (no disk
access) and we get up to 90MB/s through it. The parent caches are queried by
content type or object size. Of course the connection between this servers is
GBit full duplex. We get this way up to 20% less bandwidth utilization. Times
ago we got up to 40% but since emule and other ptp are very popular things
are not so good anymore.
What we use are FreeBSD servers 6.1-Stable version with squid14 as transparent
proxy on AMD64 dual-opterons on the main servers and AMD64-X2 machines on the
parent caches, all with SCSI-320 and very good and lots of memory. Main
server 16GB up and the parents 4GB. Best experience and performance for
standard hardware I got with Epox MB and AMD-X2 4400 or 4800. I run more than
one squid process on each SMP server.

Hans

Service fornecido pelo Datacenter Matik https://datacenter.matik.com.br