[squid-users] Odd caching problem

From: Gary W. Smith <gary@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 14:31:48 -0700

Hello,

I am using squid 2.0 that comes with RedHat EL 4. We have set it up to
become a transparent proxy for our network (via iptables). It seems to
work great for most sites but recently I have found a couple sites that
I cannot access through the proxy server. One of those sites is
www.newegg.com. We use the stock configuration file with the following
changes:

httpd_accel_host virtual
httpd_accel_port 80
httpd_accel_with_proxy on
httpd_accel_uses_host_header on

acl PURGE method PURGE
acl localhost src 127.0.0.1
http_access allow PURGE localhost
http_access deny PURGE

acl CGI url_regex .cgi$
acl PHP url_regex .php$
acl ASP url_regex .asp$
acl ASPNET url_regex .aspx$
no_cache deny CGI
no_cache deny PHP
no_cache deny ASP
no_cache deny ASPNET

We assumes that it had something to do with the dynamic ASP being cached
so we added it to the list of no_cache. But it doesn't seem to make a
difference. When the users go to the page we see the entry in the log
file for squid but in the browser it just sits there.

Here is a log example:

1152760837.202 37190 10.0.16.85 TCP_MISS/000 0 GET
http://www.newegg.com/ - DIRECT/204.14.213.185 -

But if I remove the transparent proxy setting from iptables and go
direct it works. If later I re-enable the setting it will continue to
work for a little while (not sure how long, haven't timed it) but then
it will eventually fail with the same TCP_MISS entries in the log file.

Any ideas?

Gary Smith