[squid-users] Shortening URLs passing through a squid hierarchy

From: Irvine, Doug - Resources - ICT Services <Doug.Irvine@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 11:15:45 +0100

Hi,

I am responsible for a large number of squid caches serving most of the
schools in Oxfordshire. We have a central 'farm' of squid caches which
are the upstream parents to each of the school's local squid cache.

At one particular school I have a headmaster who hosts the school's blog
site on a remote web server running a product by Userland. When the
school tries to access the site through our cache hierarchy, the browser
shows:

Can't coerce the string "34 10" into a number because it contains
non-numeric characters.

If the school uses one of the central caches as their proxy it works. It
appears to me that this is a problem with the remote site being unable
to handle large strings in the request and I have found a bug for this.
I have tried to get assistance from the software company without luck.

Due to the way we are going to re-configure our central servers I need
to find a workaround to this problem.

Is there a way to get Squid to shorten the length of the address going
to the remote site?

Regards

Doug Irvine
School's Support Team Leader
Oxfordshire County Council
3rd Floor Clarendon House
Shoe Lane
Oxford
OX1 2DP

01865 815888
Mobile 07776163426

The information in this e-mail, together with any attachments, is confidential. If you have received this message in error you must not print off, copy, use or disclose the contents. The information may be covered by legal and/or professional privilege. Please delete from your system and inform the sender of the error. As an e-mail can be an informal method of communication, the views expressed may be personal to the sender and should not be taken as necessarily representing the views of the Oxfordshire County Council. As e-mails are transmitted over a public network the Oxfordshire County Council cannot accept any responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of this message. It is your responsibility to carry out all necessary virus checks. You should be aware that all emails received and sent by this Council are subject to the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and therefore may be disclosed to other parties under that Act. www.oxfordshire.gov.uk