Re: [squid-users] Throughput slower, when data is in cache instead geting it from the webserver

From: Steven <swilton@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 22:26:18 +0800 (WST)

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006, Dieter Bloms wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we use squid as shipped with SuSE Linux Enterprise 9
> (squid-2.5.STABLE5-42.41).
>
> The throughput is slower, when I get the data from cache and is faster,
> when I use the -r option to get the data from the webserver.
>
> --snip--
>
> This is my squid.conf
>
> --snip--
> cache_dir diskd /var/cache/squid 15360 16 256
> --snip--
>
> I'm alone on this server, which has 2G Ram and 2 Xeon 3.4 GHz CPUs.
> The cache_dir is a hardware raid1 with 36 GByte Space.
>
> Does anybody have an idea why the throughput is lower, when I get the
> data from cache instead from the webserver ?

I had a similar problem under Linux where cache hits were really slow on a
server that was not busy. Switching to aufs fixed the problem for me (ie
just replace the word "diskd" with "aufs" on the cache_dir line).

I know the FAQ suggests that diskd gives better performance (or it did the
last time I checked). I think that the FAQ may need updating to advise
that diskd or aufs may give the best performance depending on the load and
OS.

Steven