Re: [squid-users] XP IE 6.x Machines Ignoring Proxy - Squid 2.5.14

From: Covington, Chris <Chris.Covington@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 13:42:27 -0400

On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 12:45:33PM -0400, eric.watters@prgx.com wrote:
> It works fine if we manually configure the location of the PAC file in the
> browser. However, our end users (about 2000 of them) won't go for having
> to uncheck that option if we push it out by GPO. I hadn't had any luck

I don't understand what you mean by this. If you're doing it via GPO,
your users won't have to do anything.

The best way to solve the problem is to force the automatic
configuration script in the \User Configuration\Windows Settings\Internet
Explorer Maintenance\Connection\Automatic Browser Configuration GPO
then disable the users' abilities to get to that page in IE:

\User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet
Explorer\Disable changing proxy settings (Enabled)

OR

"If you set the "Disable the Connections page" policy (located in \User
Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet
Explorer\Internet Control Panel), you do not need to set this policy,
because the "Disable the Connections page" policy removes the
Connections tab from the interface."

---
Chris Covington
IT