[squid-users] squid and ident

From: Nicola Giosmin <nicgios@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 22:40:14 +0200 (CEST)

Dear all,

I just subscribed and I am a newby so, please
forgive me if my questions are too stupid. :)

I needed to "keep track" about the internet
navigation of 11 users of a public machine. I
installed a Knoppix and then Squid (Webalizer for
the reports).

Squid works fine, Webalizer too and the reports
are generated without any problem.

The problem is that I need a report about *who*
and *when* he/she surfs on the internet (not
really *what* he/she sees). Due to the fact that
it is the first time that I install Squid I saw in
the manual that this kind of things could be done
with an ACL (type "ident").

So I created in squid.conf the following:

acl users ident user1 user2 user3 ... user11
http_access allow users
ident_lookup_access allow users

The browser (Mozilla-Firefox) is properly set up
to use proxy, and Squid reports each page seen.

But it does not report about the users' names. Any
idea?

Thanks a lot

nicgios

ps. Ident2 is active in background...