Re: [squid-users] squid behind another squid

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 12:11:54 +0200

mån 2006-07-31 klockan 09:16 +0300 skrev melvin obiri:
> I'm running squid(my lan) behind another squid (internet service provider);
> I can get http to run and access internet however i can not access
> pop3 mail from client machines.
> I also cannot ping a remote host from my lan but i can ping from squid
> host in my lan,

Squid is a HTTP proxy, meaning it provides application level proxy
services to HTTP applications (i.e. browsers). It is not a NAT gateway.

From your question it sounds like you want to run packet level
NAT/Masquerade in addition to Squid. This to provide packet level
Internet access sharing the Internet connection. How this is done
depends on what OS you use and is not really Squid related.

For Linux see
http://www.netfilter.org/documentation/HOWTO/NAT-HOWTO-6.html#ss6.1