[squid-users] Squid / Apache as caching server for remote xml feeds

From: Jim Christy <jim.christy@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 14:19:00 +0100

Hi all,

I am trying to use Squid to cache xml feeds from an external domain
(outside of my network). I want this to be used by internal scripts,
not specifically by users. So currently i have Squid intercepting
traffic on port 8081 which then passes requests off to apache and
caches anything cacheable. This is fine for caching local files (if a
little pointless) but what i actually want to do is alias my apache
server to actually call the external domain.

So requests to:
http://localhost:8081/feed_xml.asp?type=1&search=news

should really call (and cache):
http://external-feed-site.com/feed_xml.asp?type=1&search=news

I've tried using jesred as Squid's redirector program, but that only
seems able to redirect internally.

If anyone's got any ideas i'd be very grateful!

Thanks
Jim