Re: [squid-users] Digest Auth Problem in Reverse Proxy Setup

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 09:24:52 +0200

tor 2006-08-10 klockan 16:52 -0700 skrev Ben Drees:

> Users are complaining that they are challenged to re-enter their
> credentials too frequently.

Then something is wrong somewhere. They should only need to enter their
credentials once, just as for basic..

> I figured nonce_max_duration would set the "max session time", but the
> credentials challenges still seem to happen much more frequently.

The nounce duration is not a session timer as such. It's more related to
replay attacks on the digest protocol.

> I notice log entries like these that seem to be correlated with the
> credentials challenges:
>
> #1) authenticateValidateUser: Auth_user '0xb61430' is broken for it's
> scheme.
> #2) authenticateValidateUser: Validating Auth_user request '(nil)'.
>
> Are these normal sorts of log messages? What does AUTH_BROKEN mean (from
> the source generating example #1)?

Most likely Squid didn't like something of the Digest message sent by
the browser.

debug_options ALL,1 29,9
should give more insight into the Digest processing.

If you enable log_mime_hdrs and repeat the problem with a known password
then we can look into what the browser sent and if it makes sense or
not.

Or at mimimum log_mime_hdrs and get the relevant /407 entries. Maybe
there is something obvious.