Re: [squid-users] Content-Lenght: 0 vs Missing Content-Length

From: Domingos Parra Novo <domingosnovo@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 14:54:22 -0300

        Hiyas,

Henrik Nordstrom escreveu:
> ons 2006-08-16 klockan 17:51 +0200 skrev Matus UHLAR - fantomas:
>> On 16.08.06 10:59, Jim Christy wrote:
>>> Just wondering if someone can tell me which is best:

>>> or Content-Length completely missing from the header?
>> the missing one. "0" is broken.

> is certainly not broken. Maybe you are confusing this with
> ERR_ZERO_SIZED_REPLY which is when Squid doesnt receive any reply at all
> before the connection was closed by the server, not event HTTP headers.

        It is not broken, but surelly misleading. I had a bug with a
proprietary apache 1.3 module, which was used to serve dynamic content
for a commercial CMS. This module started to send a "Content-Lenght: 0"
header, when the content was delivered from NFS.
        This bug caused mod_proxy (from Apache 1.3) and some versions of IE not
to be able to retrieve the page successfully (and show a blank page,
instead).

        Apache's implementation of SSI (mod_include) simply removes this
header, when sending dynamic content ("size calculation is costly on
dynamic pages", they say).