Re: [squid-users] Problems with Squid and non-anonymous FTP

From: Michael W. Lucas <mwlucas@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 08:52:55 -0400

On Mon, Aug 21, 2006 at 09:10:50PM +0200, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> m??n 2006-08-21 klockan 14:11 -0400 skrev Michael W. Lucas:
>
> > We cannot access non-anonymous FTP sites. Config, logs, and error
> > messages follow.
>
> > 1156181672.956 244 10.184.184.193 TCP_MISS/401 1706 GET ftp://mwlwork@bwb.blackhelicopters.org/ - DIRECT/198.22.63.43 text/html
>
> Squid asks for a password as you did not supply one in the URL. It's
> possible your client does not know how to complete the request.
>
> Try using a fully qualified URL like
>
> ftp://user:password@host/

That does work, but it's discouraged in the FAQ. I'd also rather not
teach my users to type passwords in visible cleartext, I have enough
trouble getting them to not use their passwords as desktop wallpaper. :-)

My question should then becomes:

a) anyone know how to make IE 6 SP 2 and/or Firefox 1.5 prompt for a
password at a non-anonymous FTP site?

b) As this test cache does not require a username and password, why do
I get a "Cache Access Denied" error saying that I am not allowed to
request a non-anonymous FTP URL from the cache until I have
authenticated myself? Is it just passing through the "incorrect
password" error from the FTP site?

(My production cache does require a username and password, mind you,
but I want to get FTP working more correctly in a test environment
before I complicate matters further.)

Thanks,

==ml

--