[squid-users] SquidNT cache directory setup issues

From: Emily Flynn <eflynn@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 15:33:37 +0100

Hi all, first post here for me!

Also, serious newbie alert so apologies if i say something silly..

Okay, so I'm having a wierd problem setting up SquidNT. I'm not using Squid
for any advanced reasons other than to be able to run an Internet Activity
Monitor program on top of it.

I downloaded 2.5STABLE14-NT from www.squid.acmeconsulting.it, and installed
it on a decommissioned server I have sitting under my desk. I installed it
(without doing anything to the configuration) using
c:\squid>sbin\squid.exe -i

No problems. Then I resaved the default config files as:

c:\squid\etc\squid.conf.default >> c:\squid\etc\squid.conf
c:\squid\etc\mime.conf.default >> c:\squid\etc\mime.conf
c:\squid\etc\cachemgr.default >> c:\squid\etc\cachmgr.conf

created cache directories by running c:\squid>sbin\squid -z

No Problems there either.. I then modified squid.conf to allow
authentication against Active Directory (using ready-made code), pointed my
browser to port 3128 and voila, it worked beautifully.

I know this is an extremely simple setup, which is why i can't work out the
problems i'm now having.

- On the main W2K server that I want to install Squid on, I downloaded the
exact same file. I installed it, but not before I noticed something strange:
None of the default config files had the .default at the end of them.

The install went without any problems, but when I tried to create cache
directories, it said following:

c:\squid>sbin\squid -z
FATAL: unable to open configuration file: c:/squid/etc/squid.conf: <2> No
such file or directory
Squid Cache <version 2.5STABLE14-NT>: Terminated abnormally
CPU Usage : 0.047 seconds= 0.016 user + 0.031 sys
Max resident Size: 2884KB
Page faults with physical i/o: 718
abnormal termination

I copied and renamed the config files so there was a default set as well, no
joy again.

I downloaded another couple of version of Squid, but to no avail.

I tried copying the config files from the other server across the network,
but as soon as I save them to the C:\ on main server, the .defaults get
dropped...?!!

I haven't even gotten as far as editing my squid.conf file yet, but it still
says it cannot open/read it, even though it's there.

SO, any suggestions.....??????

Regards

Emily Flynn

I.T. Assistant