[squid-users] Java, proxy.pac, and squid

From: Michael W. Lucas <mwlucas@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 08:49:17 -0400

Hi,

I'm not sure this is even related to Squid, but it could be and I need
to double-check everything. I'm using Squid 2.5S13 on RHEL ESR4.

We need to access a Web site that launches a Java-based file transfer
client.

If I configure the client browser manually, by entering
"proxy.us.add:8080" (.add is our private internal domain), the applet
works.

If I use the following proxy.pac to autoconfigure, however, it doesn't
work:

function FindProxyForURL(url, host)
{
// variable strings to return
var proxy_yes = "PROXY proxy.us.add:8080";
var proxy_no = "DIRECT";

return proxy_yes;

}

To my eye it seems that the browser shoudl be sending all requests to
Squid, no matter what, in either case. access.log seems to indicate
that all the requests are traversing Squid.

So, either Squid handles cases differently or the browser isn't
actually sending all the requests to the proxy. I'll happily track
down the latter elsewhere, but also need to check: does Squid handle
these cases differently?

Thanks,
==ml

--