Re: [squid-users] tweaking squid values

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 12:10:03 -0800

Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg wrote:
> Chris Robertson wrote:
>> Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg wrote:
>>> Hi list.
> [snip]
>>> I have tried to configure them according to what I read in
>>> documentation and FAQ's, but I run into heavy swapping, "Unable to
>>> allocate" errors or just bad performance. It seems I'm having
>>> problems finding a good balance between performance and stability.
>>>
>> Have you read through the genuine Squid FAQ section on memory
>> (http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/SquidMemory)? It's probably a
>> good place to start.
>
> Yes, several times. It explains in great detail what certain errors
> mean and how to see how much memory is used for what, but does not
> give much help when it comes to calculating what values to use.

http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/SquidMemory#head-09818ad4cb8a1dfea1f51688c41bdf4b79a69991

And I quote:

> As a rule of thumb on Squid uses approximately 10 MB of RAM per GB of
> the total of all cache_dirs (more on 64 bit servers such as Alpha),
> plus your cache_mem setting and about an additional 10-20MB. It is
> recommended to have at least twice this amount of physical RAM
> available on your Squid server.

So if you have 512 MB of RAM, use 256 explicitly for Squid. Using the
default of 8MB for cache_mem, this gives you the freedom to use up to
around 23GB of cache_dir space ((256 - 8 - 20)/10MB * 1GB). Tweak to fit.

Chris