[squid-users] Squid behaviour and tuning

From: Yann Durieux <yann.durieux@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 10:42:50 +0200

hi there,

i've got some problem recently with a squid (2.5Stable14) on linux
(Red Hat ES 4).

The server has joined a windows domain (with samba 3).

Actually, my problem is that, from time to time, but usually on pick
hours, squid have all is ntlm process busy. At the same time, winbind
don't have any process available. (allreday ask samba time for this
too)

Squid is configured with 70 children for NTLM. (maybe that's wrong)

I've tried to use the max_challenge_reuses, but didn't work at all
(users were asked for there login with authentication popup on there
browser).

Does anyone know how to tune, or which parameter to tune to make it
works better on heavy load ?

For info, i have 600 users for now on 3 squid behind a loadbalancer. I
should have 9000 users once this problem is resolved.

Also, I would like to avoid that squid sends an authentication request
to the ADs each time he needs to, and instead uses a sort of cache for
authenticated users.

Thanks

Yann